1st Day of Fall & 7 Ways to Prepare Your Home for Winter
🍂 Tomorrow is the first day of Fall! Is your home prepared for the cooler temperatures? Here are seven easy ways to keep your home efficient this fall and winter!
- Weather stripping is a good way to seal in warmth and keep out the cold! This easy fix can be picked up at almost any hardware store.
- Clean your gutters! This will help to keep rain water away from your roof. If they become blocked with debris and ice, water could find it’s way into your home
- Evaluate your roof for ice dams. Escaping heat can cause ice to melt and re-freeze over your roof leading block drains and even damage. Prevent this by making sure to insulate and ventilate your attic.
- Buy a roof rake, as well! An average roof can handle around 4 feet of snow before becoming stressed. However, if left undisturbed, packed snow could cause your roof to collapse.
- Prune trees around your home. Another easy fix that could save you from a headache later! Prune the surrounding trees before the winter storms hit!
- Stock up on basics! Have necessary supplies, food, and medication ready in case a major storm hits. Thinking ahead could save you from crowded stores as bad weather rolls in. Learn more here about alternative heat sources.
- Protect pipes from freezing by allowing them to drip during bad cold snaps. Also make sure to insulate exposed piping and to caulk any cracks or holes in your walls to prevent freezing. If they do freeze and water stops flowing, call a plumber immediately!
The first day of fall is nearly here! Give us a call at 661-542-7007 to make sure you’re prepared!
#JAIA #JonAlbertInsuranceAgency #JonAlbertFarmersInsurance